Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm Gonna Miss This

It is so, so easy to get lost in the day in and day out duties that come with being a stay at home Mommy and "domestic engineer."  It would be so easy for me to stick a movie in the DVD player to keep the girls occupied while I fold laundry, or mop the floors, or empty the dishwasher and reload it, or shower, or anything else. It would be so easy to take them to a drop-in daycare so I could grocery shop, or get my oil changed, or pull weeds and do yard work, or go to lunch with friends or just have a little bit of "me" time.  But, if I took the easy way out and didn't exhaust myself in this life that I've been blessed with, then I would miss out on so much.  I would miss the mornings with tween boys that don't have much to say but are happy to start another day.  I would miss their morning banter while brushing their teeth and grooming themselves for the girls that seem to becoming more and more of a hot topic in their lives.  I would miss the sleepy and snuggly mornings on the couch with two not so little babies.  I would miss the sound of the washing machine, the dryer, the dishwasher, the vacuum and "Yo Gabba Gabba" all playing at once.  I would miss the little girls running up and asking me to "put their princess on" so that they can look like the beautiful Disney princesses that they idolize right now.  I would miss them asking me to dance and spin them over and over.  I would miss chasing them to change their diapers and hearing their squeals of delight when they are caught.  I would miss their new sassy attitudes telling me "no don't say that Mommy" and "no don't touch it." (meaning they don't want me to tell them what to do or to interfere with whatever they are not supposed to be doing) I would miss the boys running in the door after school to go to the bathroom because the ones at school have cooties or something.  I would miss seeing backpacks slung on the floor and socks strewn about, even though I can't stand it.  I would miss the excitement in all the kids faces when they see each other for the first time in the day and then hearing the girls ask their big brothers to dance with them.  I would miss bath times giggles.  I would miss boys arguing because one of them looked at the other one.  I would miss the laughter that ensues when anyone farts passes gas.  I would miss tucking sweet baby girls into bed and hearing them tell me "I ya u Mommy, fweet dweems."
 By choosing the "hard" way, I may be missing out on some of the luxuries that life holds but the hard way is giving me the life I've always wanted.  There are so many days that I want could throw in the towel, but then I realize that I'm gonna miss this.  This life that God has afforded me and chosen for me to live.  This life that is crazy and chaotic, but only for a season that goes by all too quickly!

1 comment:

Lauren Lashlee said...

The hard way sounds like a great way to me. : )