1. Wake up at 6:45 to get dressed and make muffins so the boys would have a nice warm breakfast when they got up.
2. Have an exciting conversation with the boys about the new school year and new friends while I make their lunches.
3. Get them out the door 20 minutes before school starts at the school that is 2 minutes from our house.
4. After the boys are gone, wake up my 3 1/2 month old babies that surely slept through the night and get them fed and dressed.
5. Clean the house, do laundry and make some chocolate ship cookies so the boys will have a nice snack when they get home from school.
6. Boys come home from school all excited about their first day and we talk all about it while eating the yummy, fresh cookies.
7. Go to bed happy that night that I accomplished all of my goals and excited to wake up early the next day to do it all over.
Reality: I accomplished one thing that first day last year and that was making the boys lunches. I was a sleep deprived mommy of twins and I had set my expectations way too high! The boys were about as excited as they would be about going to the dentist and I didn't have enough energy to muster up any enthusiasm for them. As the weeks went on we fell into a nice routine that worked for all of us and I started to feel like I was doing something right!
Yesterday, the boys first day of school, the only goal I set for myself was to get up a little before the boys and get dressed for my aerobics class, get a pot of coffee made and be ready to take Galen to his first day at middle school by 8:00. I'm happy to say that by not setting my expectations too high, I was able to accomplish much more and was actually early to my 9:00 aerobics! Yay!
If you are wondering about the boys and how their days went, well, same as usual.
Me: Hey! How was the first day?
Them: Good/Fine
Me: Do you like your teachers?
Them: Yes
Me: Is there anyone you know in your classes?
Them: Yes (Garret went a little outside the box here and said that there were like 6 new kids in his class)
Me: Well, you guys don't seem very excited about the new year...
Them: When is dinner?
So typical! That was our day in a nutshell. Feels good to be back in the swing of things even if it does mean less sleep. I did manage to get the boys to pose for a first day of school picture...even if they seem less than excited about it.

1 comment:
What a great post. So typical! Mothering is not for sissies is it? It is a tough gig. Thanks for sharing.
Both my boys are grown and have little boys of their own! How fun is that. I blog to encourage MOMS in the fine art of Christian mothering. Mothering is an awesome and aggravating holy occupation.
I have just added my PODCASTS for my series on Philippians called Joy in the Journey.Check it out if you could use some huge doses of encouragement and personal illustrations along with some great Biblical truth.
On Sept. 17 I will be starting a new series on Ephesians called "High Stepping in High Places." We have live video feed and an archived file for the message as long as the PODCASTS.
We would love the chance to bless you as your raise your flock for the Lord. Check us out at www.jeanstockdale.com or http://jeanstockdale.typepad.com. Blessings.
Post a Comment