Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

World Series 2011

So, I can't let the month of October go by with out mention of the AH-MAZING world series this year.  Although my family moved around a lot when I was younger, we eventually settled in St. Louis and this is where my brothers and I consider "home."  Growing up in St. Louis is awesome because there is soooo much to do and one of the things that is instilled from a young age is the love of Cardinals baseball.  I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of baseball, but when it comes to the Cardinals, things are different.  Unless you are from St. Louis or have been to a game there, you just can't understand the love in that town for their Cardinals.  There is a saying to describe the city and it is true "St. Louis: A drinking town with a baseball problem." Ha! I love it.  So as you can imagine, growing up in STL, baseball is a big part of life.  My brothers all played baseball growing up and I spent many, many hours at baseball fields.  One of my brothers grew up playing baseball with a certain kid that would grow up to be (in my opinion) the reason the Cardinals won the World Series...a kid named David Freese.  He is the little brother of a friend of mine growing up and he is the reason I shed some tears during the World Series this year! He was unbelieveable in Milwakee and even more so in the World Series, especially game 6.  Ever since David got drafted to the Cardinals back in 2007, I have just been so excited for him and his family.  There is nothing like STL baseball and to be born and raised there and then get to play there, well that was just about every little boys dream! Ah, I love it!

So after watching Game 6, (which was such a nail biter I still get anxious thinking about it) my brothers and I decided that we needed to watch Game 7 together to cheer on our home team! Jon had to bar tend that night so we met up at his work for some wings, beer and baseball watching! We were obviously the minority in the bar that night with all the Rangers fans, but we did not care.  I just felt it, like I had all a long, that the Cardinals would win.  I wanted it soooo badly for David and for the team, it was just so exciting! Luckily the game wasn't quite the nail biter that it was the night before and in the end, our Cardinals won!!!!! My brothers and I stood and cheered with the only other Cards fans in the bar, two ladies that happened to be sitting right next to us.  I won't lie, I was afraid that the Rangers fans behind us were going to throw some beer bottles at our heads because besides our cheers, it was silent in the entire resturant! Haha! It was nuts!

 Bryan wore his baseball hat from high school to represent for the school where he played ball with a bunch of friends, including David.


 My youngest brother, Kyle.

 I was afraid for Jon that he wouldn't get tipped that night since he was sporting his Cards gear, but luckily the Rangers fans didn't discriminate against him!


Right after the Cardinals won the World Series!!!! So excited and happy to have my little brothers make a wall to protect me from any beer bottles that might have been thrown! Hahaha

I may not have been born in St. Louis, but I'm so thankful to have been raised there.  I love the city and their baseball team and I am so very proud of our hometown kid that was the MVP of the series.  Congrats to David Freese and his entire family, so, so exciting!!!


No comments: