Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Halloween 2011

Halloween was a lot of fun this year with surprises, fun and of course candy.  At the end of the summer, we were at the Disney Store and Ella was already picking out her costume.  I'm convinced she is an eternal princess.  The store had just put out all of their new costumes and the "Snow White" costume really caught her eye.  Being that they had just come out, the costumes were full price and I was not purchasing anything yet.  Landrie liked all the costumes and didn't really have much to say about what she wanted to be for Halloween yet.  Fast forward to the beginning of October.  Ella had changed her mind from "Snow White" to wanting to be "Belle."  I received an e-mail from the Disney Store saying that their costumes were on sale, so off we went.  Landrie still hadn't really said what she wanted to be, so on our way to the mall, I started listing a bunch of ideas off.  She didn't really react to being a princess, maybe because they play dress up as princesses every.single.day.  When I suggested being a butterfly, she really like that idea and said that that was what she wanted to be.  She said "Mommy, sissy is going to be princess Belle and I'm going to be a butterfly and we are going to be different and that is just okay. Right?!" I didn't know whether to be worried that they have a complex about being the same all of the time or happy that she was okay with being different, I chose to go with the latter.  After getting Ella's costume, we set out in search of Landrie's.  Even though it was early in the month, the selection for a butterfly costume was sparse and I just couldn't find what I was looking for.  While hunting, we saw a "Pegasus" costume that made me laugh.  It was a cute costume, but the child who wore it was literally the rear end of the horse and held on to some reigns in the front to complete the costume.  I tried it on Landrie just for a laugh and of course, she fell in love with it and decided that is what she wanted to be for Halloween! Oh, this child!

So Halloween arrived and the girls were super excited about trick-or-treating and their costumes.  Landrie had named her horse costume "Cotton" and Ella was super ready to be Belle.  I got Landrie suited up first  and even though the costume was funny, I thought she looked super cute!


I was planning on curling Ella's hair and putting some make-up on her as part of her costume, so before I started, I asked Landrie if she wanted any make-up on.  I just knew that once Ella was made up, Landrie would want some too, but insisted that she didn't want it because "horse girls don't wear make-up." Alright fine.  So I curled and primped Ella, who totally LOVED every second of it.  I got her dressed and she was seriously so cute about the whole process.  When she looked at herself in the mirror, she just smiled ear to ear and was completely enchanted with the way she looked.

  
During the process of getting Ella ready, Landrie kept coming into the bathroom to take a look.  I noticed that her mood was changing and she seemed sad.  When I asked her what was wrong, she said with tears in her eyes "Well, I would just like to be beautiful like Sissy is."  It was so pitiful and so cute and luckily we have lots of princess clothes as back up.  I asked if she would like to wear the Cinderella costume and she said "Yes, that would make be beary happy."  So I quickly transformed a horse into a princess and we were out the door with two happy girls.

I asked Ella to turn around so I could take a picture of her curly hair and she decided to spin because she said "I haffta twirl becuz dat is what pincesses does."



Landrie didn't want any pictures by herself because she was just ready to trick or treat.  She did snap a quick picture with me and Ella and then with Daddy, even though she wasn't so sure about Daddy's costume!



And then we were off! The girls looked so big walking along and going up to the doors.  They did really well and were having fun.  Landrie was a lot more skeptical of all the decorations than Ella was and spent a lot of time in the golf cart with a bunny Poppy.





 As it started to get dark, Landrie completely changed.  She was very nervous about her surroundings and did not want to trick or treat anymore.  Depending on the decorations on the house, she would make up her mind on whether or not she wanted to go to the door.  I was surprised when we saw a house that was highly decorated and very scary and she agreed to go to the door as long as Gigi held her.  The house was amazing and they had a haunted house set up on their big front porch.  They had people in masks that sat very still and then would jump out and scare the big kids and adults.  One of the characters did not see my Mom holding Landrie and jumped out to scare a kid that was walking up by my Mom.  Well, that was it for Landrie.  She was literally trembling and my Mom got her out of there right away.  I was holding Ella and she didn't love it, but was okay.  The guy lifted his mask to say hi to Ella and show her that it was just a mask and she was fine.  He even gave us a piece of candy to give to Landrie.  After this episode, Landrie definitely wasn't getting out of the golf cart again.  Ella on the other hand was running through the streets giggling and loving every second of the evening.  We were out for about 2 hours and Ella finally started to get tired and was ready to go home, much to Landrie's delight.  She hopped in the golf cart and we headed back home.


Halloween was a success this year and hopefully as Landrie gets older, she will be more comfortable with all the spooky stuff that comes a long with Halloween.  Although, it is almost a month later and she still randomly says "Hey, I haffta tell you someping.  We went to a spooky, singing house and there was a scary clown that jumped out and said Rawr! but it was jus a Daddy in a maskis like my Daddy.  I don't haffta be afraid."  At least she reassures herself!

No comments: